About Me

My photo
Fleming Island, FL, United States
My beginnings were humble which makes the end of the story that much better. It doesn't matter where you came from it only matter that you have a plan for where you're going. Don't worry about what anyone else says believe in yourself, I did. We moved to Jacksonville from Upstate New York several years ago. Shortly after arriving my husband and I decided that I would give real estate a shot. While my husband positioned himself to be my biggest fan I set out to see what real estate was all about! It's been a wild ride. From the very first year I was blessed to be a top producer for my company Vanguard Realty. What did I learn? That old fashioned hard work, networking with fellow professionals and most importantly remembering that if my customers had a remarkable experience they’d refer me to friends and family is what makes a real estate professional successful.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Tell Sellers The Truth

It's a New Year time to stand tall and make a decision to tell the cold hard truth. When you walk into that listing appointment remember they asked you to come because you are a real estate professional and they are looking for guidance and solutions.


Now if your end game is merely to get your sign in the yard then you won't be in the game too long. However, if this is your career you get that it's a bigger picture. The bigger picture... your reputation, referrals, delivering on what you say! Remember you are dealing with folks biggest investment don't make it about you. Once you do you lose.


Maybe your excuse is you just can't be that hard on them, it will hurt their feelings. How would you feel if the cancer doctor felt really bad about your terminal diagnosis so he told you everything was fine come back in 6 months? Too bad you won't be showing to the appointment.
That's what many agents are doing out there with seller's finances. They are over pricing homes to get the listing meanwhile the market is passing the seller by till they are in ruin.


I'm not talking about the seller who won't listen. We all have dealt with them. I prefer to be the second listing agent on those because now they are prepared to listen and you don't have to spend my money on a house that won't sell.

If it smells, tell them, if it's cluttered tell them, if they want to overprice it for the market tell them. You don't have to be unkind you just need to be honest. Suggest an appraisal if need be. It will never be in the sellers best interest to tell them what they want to hear if it's not teh truth.
The Truth will not only set you free but take your career much further than a lie could ever take you!

No comments: